We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
A mattress topper for back pain is an additional layer of foam, fabric, or natural fibers that people can add on top of their mattress. It can be a less expensive alternative to buying a new mattress to provide extra support for the back.
Mattress toppers can contour the body and add extra cushioning, which may help support the back and reduce pain.
Here we look at some of the best mattress toppers for back pain and what to consider when buying one.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based.
Table of Contents
PlushBeds Latex Mattress Topper
PlushBeds Latex Mattress Topper is 100% natural latex. Features include:
- pressure point relief for shoulders, hips, knees, and back
- open-cell design to allow airflow
- 2- or 3-inch (in) thickness for different levels of cushioning
- choice from four different firmness levels to suit all sleeping styles, with an extra-firm option for people weighing over 250 pounds (lb)
- shock absorbency to reduce motion transfer
A PlushBeds Latex Mattress Topper is available for purchase online.
Molecule Triple Zone Mattress Topper
The Molecule Triple Zone Mattress Topper is a memory foam mattress designed to relieve pressure points. Features include:
- targeted support for the head, lower back, and feet
- support of pressure points
- temperature regulation for a cooler sleep
- gel beads for moisture control
- improved airflow
- long-lasting comfort
People can choose from six sizes, from twin through to California King. This product comes with a 30-day trial.
The Molecule Triple Zone Mattress Topper is available for purchase online.
ViscoSoft Select Memory Foam Topper
The ViscoSoft Select Memory Foam Topper is a 3-in, high-density mattress topper that:
- relieves pressure points
- aligns the spine
- provides no motion transfer
- offers a medium-firm feel
- contains gel-infused memory foam for a cooler sleep
- suits all sleep styles
The ViscoSoft Select Memory Foam Topper is available for purchase online.
Birch Organic Mattress Topper
Made from organic cotton, wool, and natural latex, other features of this 3-in deep Birch Organic Mattress Topper include:
- deep body contouring
- a natural latex contour layer that cushions pressure points
- a breathable cotton cover that allows airflow
- an organic cotton cover to wick away moisture
- a wool layer to regulate temperature
- non-toxic and naturally fire retardant materials
People can choose from six sizes and have a 100-night trial.
The Birch Organic Mattress Topper is available for purchase online.
LUCID 3” Ventilated Memory Foam
LUCID 3” Ventilated Memory Foam is a 3-in gel-infused memory foam topper. Features include:
- responsive memory foam that supports and contours the body
- pressure relief, particularly around the hips, knees, and shoulders
- cooling gel for temperature regulation
- ventilation for breathability
The LUCID 3” Ventilated Memory Foam mattress topper is available for purchase online.
Lift by Amerisleep — Support option
The 3-in thick Support Lift Mattress Topper offers firmer support to a mattress. Features include:
- increased comfort and reduced pain from pressure points
- targeted support for different areas of the body
- a breathable cover for a cooler sleep
- comfort for back and front sleepers
Side or combination sleepers or anyone looking for extra cushioning may prefer the Comfort option.
The Lift by Amerisleep Support option mattress topper is available for purchase online.
Sleep Innovations 4-Inch Dual Layer Memory Foam Topper
The Sleep Innovations Memory Foam Topper is a 4-in deep memory foam and quilted cushion. The topper offers:
- pressure relief
- a washable quilted cover
- gel memory foam for a cooling effect
- a cradling effect to provide comfort and support
- comfort for all sleeping styles
The Sleep Innovations 4-Inch Dual Layer Memory Foam Topper is available for purchase online.
Pure Green 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper
The 100% natural latex Pure Green Mattress Topper has an optional organic cotton and polyester cover. Features include:
- contouring support
- instant response to body movement
- three depth options
- soft, medium, or firm options to suit all sleep positions
- durable and breathable natural latex
The Pure Green 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper is available for purchase online.
Keetsa Luxurious Comfort Layer
The 3-in Keetsa mattress topper uses memory foam and padding to provide comfort and support. Features include:
- body contouring
- memory foam made from a combination of natural and synthetic materials
- a linen blend cover with a soft, smooth feel
- a fiberfill padding layer for moisture control and airflow
The Keetsa Luxurious Comfort Layer mattress topper is available for purchase online.
Linenspa 2 Inch 5 Zone Gel Memory Foam Topper
The Linenspa 5 Zone mattress topper uses gel memory foam and is 2 in deep. Features include:
- five different comfort zones to relieve aches from pressure points, particularly around the head, shoulders, hips, knees, and ankles
- memory foam that contours the body for spinal alignment
- 100% polyurethane memory foam
- gel bead infusion to create a cooler sleep
The Linenspa 2 Inch 5 Zone Gel Memory Foam Topper is available for purchase online.
People may want to consider the following points when choosing a mattress topper for back pain. According to review and product websites, the following points can all play a part in an effective mattress topper:
- Contouring: A topper that contours the body may better help relieve pressure points and support spinal alignment.
- Price: A cheaper topper may provide a quick fix, but more expensive ones may be a better investment. People can look for toppers that use durable materials with no sagging and provide long-lasting comfort.
- Quality materials: Certain performance materials or added technology can add extra benefits, such as temperature regulation or a springy feel.
- Firmness: People can also consider whether they want to sink into a topper or not and consider what body weights a topper will support. One study found that high rebound mattress toppers improved deep sleep quality.
- Thickness: The depth of a mattress topper can alter the amount of cushioning and contouring it provides. A thicker topper may be better for contouring and pressure relief.
- Sleeping position: Side sleepers may need more cushioning for hips and shoulders, while back and front sleepers may need a slightly firmer surface to prevent sinking.
One study found that lower back pain can increase the risk of sleep disturbance and poor quality sleep. If back pain interferes with sleep quality, a person should see their doctor.
A mattress topper can be a good option for changing a mattress’s feel without the expense or commitment required when buying a new mattress. Mattress toppers that offer contouring, spinal alignment, extra cushioning, and pressure relief may help relieve back pain.
If a sagging or worn-out mattress causes back pain, a mattress topper may not help, and people may need to consider getting a new mattress.
If a change in bedding and sleeping surface does not improve back pain, people can see their doctor for other treatment suggestions.