Mental health services for students at Charlotte colleges

Editor’s note: This story contains mentions of mental health and suicide. If you or someone…

Mental health services for students at Charlotte colleges

Editor’s note: This story contains mentions of mental health and suicide. If you or someone you know needs immediate assistance, help is available. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available 24/7 by calling or texting 988 or visiting

Five recent deaths by suicide at NC State have highlighted the mental health struggles many students across North Carolina’s higher education campuses face.

For students at Charlotte colleges and universities, help is available.

Campuses provide counseling, and many also offer other mental health services such as group counseling, screenings, referrals and crisis hotlines.

Here’s what to know about counseling and other mental health services at colleges and universities in Charlotte:

Central Piedmont Community College

Central Piedmont Community College “offers in-person counseling at all campuses.” Video appointments are also available.

“Students opting for video sessions may be seen sooner, due to limited availability of high-demand time slots at a specific campus,” the school notes.

To start the process of getting an appointment, fill out the intake form at CPCC faculty and staff can also make referrals for students.

If you have questions, you can call 704-330-6420 or email [email protected].

CPCC’s Counseling Services department also “hosts workshops, events, and other activities to promote academic success, healthy relationships, and personal wellness.”

Johnson C. Smith University

Johnson C. Smith University “provides confidential intakes and assessments, personal counseling and referrals to appropriate resources to all enrolled students on a walk-in or appointment basis.”

Use the referral form at to make an appointment.

Counseling Services also offers confidential screenings and workshops on “topics dealing with conflict resolution, alcohol and drugs, and violence prevention.”

Johnson & Wales University Charlotte Campus

Johnson & Wales University’s Charlotte campus offers “individual counseling, group counseling, mental health screenings, consultations, and crisis intervention for you or a friend.”

To make an appointment, visit or call 980-598-1710.

Counseling staff can also “arrange for referral to a psychiatrist or other appropriate practitioner for medication evaluation and management.”

Anonymous mental health screenings are available online.

Queens University of Charlotte

Queens University offers “individual or group sessions with trained counselors” and “private sessions” “for treating mental health conditions such as anxiety, depression and stress.”

Students get “up to 10 counseling sessions” per academic year.

Counseling is available from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays at Watkins Hall. Virtual appointments are also available.

You can call 704-337-2556 or email [email protected] for appointments.

The school also offers a 24/7 crisis hotline at 704-337-2556.

UNC Charlotte

UNC Charlotte’s Center for Counseling at Psychological Services offers “individual and group counseling, consultation, referrals, outreach, and training.”

To make an appointment, call 704-687-0311.

Students in need of immediate assistance can call CAPS from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Friday to request a same-day appointment.

“After hours, call CAPS at 704-687-0311,” the school advises. “When you connect to the CAPS voicemail message, press ‘0’ to be connected to a counselor by phone. CAPS utilizes ProtoCall, which provides free after-hours support for addressing immediate needs and connecting with appropriate follow-up services.”

If you need an off-campus referrals or information about financial assistance, reach out to UNCC’s Center for Integrated Care by calling 704-687-1045 or emailing [email protected].

This story was originally published February 17, 2023, 4:13 PM.

Related stories from Charlotte Observer

Mental health services for students at Charlotte colleges

Mary Ramsey is a service journalism reporter with The Charlotte Observer. A native of the Carolinas, she studied journalism at the University of South Carolina and has also worked in Phoenix, Arizona and Louisville, Kentucky.