MIAMI — Hurricane Delta made landfall Wednesday morning along the northeast coast of the Yucatan Peninsula as a Category 2 Hurricane.
According to NHC’s 10 a.m. update, Hurricane Delta is about 65 miles west-southwest of Cabo Catoche, Mexico while packing 105 mph winds and is moving northwest at 17 mph.
A hurricane is considered major at Category 3 and above. According to the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale, a Category 3 hurricane can cause devastating damage.
Delta is forecast to approach the northern Gulf coast on Friday. The storm is forecast to re-strengthen and is expected to become a major hurricane again.
WATCHES AND WARNINGS:
Storm Surge Watch:
* High Island, Texas, to the Alabama/Florida border including Calcasieu Lake, Vermilion Bay, Lake Pontchartrain, Lake Maurepas, Lake Borgne and Mobile Bay
* Tulum to Dzilam Mexico
* High Island Texas to Grand Isle Louisiana
Tropical Storm Warning:
* Punta Herrero to Tulum Mexico
* Dzilam to Progreso Mexico
Tropical Storm Watch:
* San Luis Pass to west of High Island Texas
* East of Grand Isle Louisiana to Bay St. Louis Mississippi, including New Orleans
* Lake Pontchartrain and Lake Maurepas
Refresh for updates, get the latest on ABC Action News